Monday, November 14, 2016

Appalachian Trail Roller Coaster




Continuing my section hike of the Appalachian Trail Southbound, I decided to conquer the Roller Coaster this weekend. I started at the great commuter parking lot on VA7 at the intersection with 601. The AT is just west of the parking area along the highway and clearly marked.  There is a Blue Blaze trail that also cuts down toward it, as well as a side trail to the Bear’s Den Shelter.  The goal was to hike south to the Sam Moore Shelter and stay overnight there. It is approximately 3.8 miles from the VA7 commuter lot to Sam Moore.  Sam Moore is a nice little shelter with a separate covered picnic table area. The Spring is a small stone boxed area with a sandy bottom under a tree right before the shelter. It was flowing OK and had nice cold clean water. There is a nearby stream that I would not get water from, as it looked a little spoogy. There are also nice flat sandy tent sites around. The next day I continued south. Along the way I passed a neat campsite at Buzzard Hill (no water), and an interesting spring near an old foundation further south.  At approximately 6.8 miles is a pretty big stream crossing that I could hear falling water off to the left/SE from. I hiked up an unmarked, but well traveled, side trail to find a pretty nice waterfall!  It was a surprise gift that was worth the very short walk to see. At 7.8 miles, the AT crosses Morgan’s Mill Road (605). This is a dirt road with room for a few cars to park on. People obviously use this to park and walk to the falls. The 1000 mile marker (NOBO Sign) is at about 10.8 miles from the parking and the Roller Coaster ends (sign posted) at 11.1 miles from the VA7 parking. Rod Hollow Shelter is nearby the end of the Roller Coaster (~11.7 miles from VA7 parking). This is also a nice shelter, but the spring was dry. I finished up the trip (13.8 miles total) at the parking at 601 near I50. There is good parking for a few cars there as well.

Watch my other hiking videos:

Check out these other great channels by RidgeWalker and Smell-N-Roses:

No comments:

Post a Comment